Top 5 Ultimate Dives in the Maldives
If one had the power to create their own landmass, sea, and country, designed specifically for diving, it may well look a lot like the Maldives. With over 1000 coral islands sitting in the temperate and nutrient-rich Indian Ocean, the Maldives truly is a divers paradise.
The Maldives by its very geography and geology attracts, and incubates, a wash of marine life. From tuna to turtles and rays to wrasse, you’ll find it here. Mix this with the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean and you have one of the best diving spots on the planet.
We take a look at some of the best places to dive in the Maldives
- Kuredu Island, Lhaviyani Atoll – In addition to being considered one of the most popular resorts in the Maldives, Kuredu, along with its resident PADI 5 star dive centre; Pro Drivers, has some unmissable spots for diving. The island is surrounded by a coral reef that’s home to manta rays, reef sharks and turtles – to name but a few of its inhabitants.
- Hurawalhi, Lhaviyani Atoll – This couples only retreat features the world’s largest under water restaurant made completely out of glass. This serious investment from the hotel owners only goes to show how much they value the the waters that surround the island. Scuba diving on Hurawalhi is truly an experience. Whether your diving in the house reef to spot sweetlips and snappers, or you take advantage of the regular excursions, you’re guaranteed one of the best dives of your life.
- Fotteyo Kandu, Vaavu Atoll – Fotteyo Kandu absolutely had to make our top 5 list. With its dramatic overhangs, swim-throughs and caves this really is a remarkable place to dive. The channel is also home to a myriad of sea life. One will expect the usual Maldivian marine residents such as manta rays and coral groupers, but lucky divers will often glimpse a school or two of hammerhead sharks
- Dhigurah Island, Ari Atoll – Home to the one of the longest beaches in the Maldives, Dhigaurah Island has become a diving hotspot. Set at the most southerly tip of the Ari Atoll, the waters that surround this island are perfect for the elusive whale shark. In fact over 200 whale shark sightings are reported off this coast each year. In addition to majestic whale sharks that call the area home, divers may also catch a glimpse of the beautiful sail fish.
- Filitheyo Island, North Nilandhe Atoll – Filitheyo, based in the North Nilandhe Atoll features a beautiful channel running between coral islands, right at its front door. Just off the coast of Filitheyo, divers will find the Km Agro Mina Wreck, an intentional sea wreck that was sunk to promote coral growth. A myriad of marine life now inhabits this wreck and divers will welcome the easy access into and out of the sunken ship.
There you have it, our top picks. The reality is the Maldives is a terrific spot for diving, across the entire country. There are many great reefs, islands and channels to dive in, these are just our favourite so far.
There’s no confusion as to why the Diving Centre jobs section on Jobs in the Maldives is one of the most popular on the website. With hundreds of resorts looking to provide their guests with world-class diving experiences, there’s always demand for qualified diving instructors.
1174 total views, 1 today
2 Responses to “Top 5 Ultimate Dives in the Maldives”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.